Monday, April 7, 2014

This Was Life

Querdida Familia y querdidos amigos mios,

This semana was spiritually incredible, but the work was hard. I know the Lord has called me here for a reason though at this time. This morning my companion shared a beautiful scripture with me that really helped me, lifted up my head that seems to be getting put down a lot for not reaching goals like I want, or having the same/drive that I used to. Helaman 7:8- 9 ¨Yea, if my days could have been in those days, then would my soul have had joy in the righteousness of my brethren. 9 But behold, I am consigned that these are my days, and that my soul shall be filled with sorrow because of this the wickedness of my brethren.¨ He is thinking about oh how great it would have been to serve in a different time period, maybe when the work was rolling and baptisms were coming like no tomorrow, but like he says, ¨I am consigned¨… I am too, and I need to find joy and ways to work effectively now. Maybe it may be hard but I have faith looking at the big picture that the Lord is hastening his work and that those who are prepared are and will be found, by our obedience and faith.

3 big happenings though: 

I´ll start with the temple.   We had a testimony meeting before entering with our zone (12 elders and 6 hermanas).  It was beautiful.  It was held in the Moroni cahpel next to the temple. It was such a strength to hear the testimonies of the other missionares. We have such incredibly strong and valiant missionaries in our mission.  We had an 11 oclock session.  I just soaked everything up. I am so happy because I am to the point where I can understand spanish enough to be emotionally moved (including crying in Conference in Spanish!).  The first part of my mission I though it would never be possilbe.  The secret was... listening with love.  Like Elder W. Craig Zwick talked about the importance of listening. I loved his talk.  

Anyway the temple was just splendid, the spirit so thick. Hermana Suarrez was working in the temple that day, she is a member from Loma. I love and adore her. They are long time members. I was sitting in the Celestial room, closing my eyes, when all of a sudden she taps me on the shoulder.  She had open the English Bible to Hebrews 6:10-11.  
(10 For God is not unrighteous to forget your work and labour of love, which ye have shewed toward his name, in that ye have ministered to the saints, and do minister.   11 And we desire that every one of you do shew the same diligence to the full assurance of hope unto the end:   12 That ye be not aslothful, but followers of them who through faith and patience inherit the promises.)
 She told me I needed to read this.  As my eyes started to eat each word I was overwhelmed with the spirit.  I felt the love of my Father in Heaven all around me.  Tears dotted my dress and I glanced up to see Hermana Suarrez over in the corner.  She gave me a smile, a wink, and nod of the head that seemed to say, ¨Thank you.  It´s true.¨   I have never been so grateful to my Father in Heaven for this opportunity I have to be a missionary for him.  I wouldn´t trade these experiences for anything!
2. Conference was just beautiful!  My favorite talks were by Elder W. Craig Zwick, Elder Niel A. Anderson, Elder Russel M. Nelson, Elder Gary E. Stevenson, and that of Elder Lawerence E. Corbridge.  Seriously spiritually filled. Oh and did you guys know yesterday was Easter!? haha Happy Easter. I loved Elder Christofferson´s talk on the Savior.  

I read a talk from last conference this morning about our Savior by Terence M. Vinson entitled, ¨Drawing Closer to God.¨ It is just beautiful. One of my favorite parts is his experience with Elder Holland,    ¨Just a few months ago I sat with Elder Jeffrey R. Holland as he assigned missionaries to their missions. As we left he waited for me, and as we walked he draped his arm around my shoulder. I commented to him on his doing the same thing once before in Australia. He said, “That’s because I love you!” And I knew that was true.   I believe that if we could have the privilege of walking physically with the Savior, that we would feel His arm draped over our shoulder just like that. Like the disciples heading toward Emmaus, our hearts would “burn within us” (Luke 24:32). This is His message: “Come and see” (John 1:39). It is personal, inviting, and embracing in its invitation to walk with His arm around our shoulders.

¨  The Lord is our Shephard.  I testify He loves each and every one of us.  

The third big thing is:   We moved houses!! That ate up a bunch of our proselyting time.  The new house will be a bit of an adventure... lots of bugs and dust... but to look on the bright side we’ve got bananas, avacados, and gratetfruits outside!!
Life is wonderful!!  ¨I am going to look back on this and smile, because it was life and I decided to live it!¨ 

Con CariƱo,

Hermana Owen

No comments:

Post a Comment